All Crossfit Gloves Are Not Created Equal – Crossfit Glove ReviewGymPaws
What does a Crossfit circuit, callused hands, and you have in common? The answer should be “nothing!” Working out doesn’t have to mean living with rough, dry hands. Keep in mind however that not all Crossfit Gloves are created equal!
Is there a difference between weight lifting gloves and Crossfit gloves?
The simple answer is no. Whatever you’re using your gloves for… is what they are called! Let’s review some of the most popular choices used as Crossfit Gloves or crossfit hand protection.
Athletic Taping – Crossfit Hand Taping
Every guy has tried to grow a beard at some point in his life, and every crossfit fan has tried taping their hands at some point too. It doesn’t work for everyone. Athletic tape is used similar to how a lifting strap or gymnastic strap may be used. The main point is to prevent calluses or hand tearing, which is just overly dried skin that has callused and torn open.
1. Advantages – It’s a cheap solution to prevent calluses on the “meaty” part of your hand.
2. Disadvantages – It doesn’t provide any relief against the “pressure” on the hand. (think of a kipping pull up). For the inexperienced it can be tough to wrap the hand properly.
Bodybuilding Gloves for Crossfit
Bodybuilding Gloves are the available in most sporting goods stores. They’re usually made of leather and cover the entire hand with the exception of exposed fingers. They’re been around almost as long as a 20 pound dumbbell has weighed 20 pounds.
1. Advantages – They definitely protect your hands! Leather is the most favored and popular material for bodybuilding gloves as they are the most durable.
2. Disadvantages – They’re just too bulky! When’s the last time you did a pull up with the back of your hand? What’s the point of all that excess heavy material to get in the way of your workout? Because they cover the entire hand, air doesn’t circulate properly and they tend to absorb sweat and smell funky.
Weight Lifting Gloves for Crossfit
Weight lifting gloves and Bodybuilding gloves are really synonymous. As the old school bodybuilding glove has evolved over the years it’s been upgraded with lighter materials like Neoprene or Nylon mesh. While they are lighter, they still restrict movement because they cover the entire hand.
Weight lifting chalk for Crossfit is the same stuff you see the hardcore gym rats slappping on their hands in the weight room. Weight lifting chalk is made from a magnesium carbonate formula. The idea is that it is supposed to wick away sweat and add a tackiness to your grip. This is pretty much a waste of time for the average crossfitter. It’s messy and doesn’t address the main problem of preventing calluses or tears.
Power Pads, Back Grips, and Rubber Gym Grips for Weight Lifting
Constructed of a soft sponge like rubber these resemble a kitchen sponge and are used by holding in the palm of your hand to prevent against calluses and improve gripping ability.
1. Advantages – These work well for single exercise sets like a deadlift. They definitely improve grip greatly and they’re easy to hold in the palm of your hands.
2. Disadvantages – They don’t stay in place so they don’t work for most crossfit workouts as you’re constantly moving around the circuit or doing super sets. They also tend to fall apart quickly and need to be replaced often.
Neoprene Grip Pads and Leather Gym Grips for Crossfit
Neoprene Gym Grips and Leather Gym Grips are designed to fit in the palm of you hands to offer a barrier of protection in an effort to avoid growing calluses from constant friction.
1. Advantages – Leather Gym Grips offer durability that their fabric counterparts don’t offer. Not only will they help provide a better grip for you crossfit workout or weight lifting circuit, but without a full hand glove you’ll find movement isn’t restricted. The natural design allows for great breath-ability as well.
2. Disadvantages – Watch out for those gym grips that are soley constructed of Neoprene fabric. The grip itself lacks structure and offers no more protection than a piece of fabric would in the palm of your hands. GymPaws Leather Gym Grips have the best of everything! A durable Leather Palm and a cool sweat-wicking neoprene backing that keeps your hands dry and your grip from slipping. The 4 finger loop design helps to keep them in place.
FREE SHIPPING is always offered on the GymPaws® website! Now you can even checkout using your Amazon Account in addition to PayPal or any major Credit Card.